First. I must apologize — I baked, built and served this cake without taking a single photo! So the ones here are from the great site where I borrowed the recipe, and will definitely be using more of these recipes! I made this one especially for my step dad who celebrated a BIG birthday over the weekend. It was delicious.
3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1 tablespoon vegetable shortening
8 tablespoons (112 g) unsalted butter, roughly chopped
2 1/4 cups (315 g) high-quality all-purpose gluten-free flour (I used my version of gluten-free cake flour)
1 teaspoon xanthan gum (omit if your blend already contains it)
3/4 cup (60 g) Dutch-processed cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 1/2 cups (300 g) granulated sugar
3 eggs (180 g, out of shell) at room temperature, beaten
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
8 fluid ounces milk (low-fat is fine, nonfat is not)
3 cups water
2/3 cup (85 g) cornstarch
2 1/2 cups (500 g) granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups (120 g) Dutch-processed cocoa powder
7 tablespoons unsalted butter, chopped
1 ounce bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- First, make the cake. Preheat your oven to 350°F. Grease 2 9-inch round cake pans, and set them aside. Melt the chopped chocolate, vegetable shortening and butter in a double boiler (or in a small microwave safe bowl in your microwave, for about 1 minute at 60% power), and stir until smooth. Set aside to cool briefly.
- In a large bowl, place the flour, xanthan gum, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt, and sugar, and whisk to combine well. add the melted chocolate mixture, and mix to combine. Add the eggs, vanilla and milk, mixing to combine well after each addition. The mixture will be thickly pourable. Divide the cake batter evenly between the two prepared cake pans, and place in the center of the preheated oven. Bake, rotating once during baking, until a toothpick inserted in the center of each cake comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the cake pans for about 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Prepare the filling. In a small bowl, combine 1/2 cup of the water with the cornstarch, and whisk until combined well. In a large saucepan, place the remaining 2 1/2 cups water, granulated sugar, cocoa powder and cornstarch, and mix to combine well, add the cornstarch mixture, and whisk to combine. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until thickened (about 3 minutes). Remove the saucepan from the heat, and add the butter, chocolate, vanilla and salt, and whisk until the butter and chocolate are melted and the mixture is smooth. Transfer the filling to a large, heatproof bowl, place plastic wrap directly on the surface of the filling, and allow to cool until no longer hot to the touch. Place in the refrigerator and chill until firm (about 30 minutes).
- While the filling is cooling, prepare the cooled cakes. With a large serrated knife, trim the domed tops of both cakes until smooth. Chop and crumble the cake tops, and set them aside. Place one of the cake bottoms on a cake plate, flat side up.
- Assemble the cake. Once the filling is chilled, spoon about 1 1/2 cups of the filling on top of the bottom cake and spread into an even layer. Cover with the other cake, flat side up, and press down to force some of the filling to the edges. Spoon the rest of the filling on top of the top cake, and spread over the top and around the sides of both cakes in an even layer. Sprinkle the cake crumbs on top of the cake. Serve chilled.